TABLE OF CONTENTS
Wits Health Consortium invites qualifying professionals to submit applications for the 2024 Data Systems Internship (12-month Internship).
Closing date: 25 January 2024
Location: Sydney Brenner Institute for Molecular Bioscience (SBIMB) – 9 Jubilee Road Parktown, Johannesburg.
A full-time dedicated systems administrator is required to keep the system (Wits cluster) well maintained and assist researchers and students with accessing various data sets on the server and conducting analyses; installing and configuring software, hardware and networks; monitoring system performance
and troubleshooting issues and ensuring security and efficiency of the systems infrastructure.
ABOUT WITS HEALTH CONSORTIUM
Wits Health Consortium (Pty) Limited (“WHC“) is a wholly owned company of the University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg (University) established to serve as a legal entity through which the University, and primarily the Faculty of Health Sciences, can conduct contract or sponsored research, entrepreneurial and philanthropic funded activities and services (including clinical services).
In our two decades of operating, WHC has established a world-wide reputation for responsibly managing sponsor and commercially funded activities worth over USD72 million annually.
Given our flexible structure, our trusted management, and our entrepreneurial approach, WHC harnesses the commercial potential of our scope of work by limiting any unnecessary or bureaucratic burdens.
This enables clinical researchers and health academics to undertake ground-breaking projects and establish commercially viable operations.
These include the Wits Donald Gordon Medical Centre, which was first incubated within WHC, and the Wits Reproductive Health and HIV Institute.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Upgrade systems with new releases and models
- Monitor performance and maintain systems according to requirements
- Diagnose and troubleshoot technical issues.
- Liaise with new users and orientate them to the cluster
- Set up user account and provide SOP for general use
- Take ownership and accountability for tasks and demonstrate effective self management.
- Follow through to ensure that quality and productivity standards of own work are consistently and
- Maintain a positive attitude and respond openly to feedback.
- Take ownership for driving own career development by participating in ongoing training and
development activities such as workshops, forums, conferences etc.
- Minimum tertiary qualification (Honour’s or Master’s degree) in IT, Computer science or the equivalent.
- No work experience required however experience in databases and programming, preferably in a research environment will be an added advantage
COMPETENCIES AND KNOWLEDGE
- Demonstrated systems/network administration and programming experience.
- Ability to create scripts in Python or other language.
- Working knowledge of databases, networks (LAN, WAN) and patch management
- Knowledge of system security and data backup/recovery
- Familiar with various operating systems and platforms
- REDCap experience will be an advantage.
HOW TO APPLY
Should you be interested in applying for this vacancy, please send an email to [email protected]
The subject heading of the email must read Data Systems Intern and the job title of position applying for.
Please include the following documentation:
- A cover letter (maximum one page) that clearly states which vacancy you are applying for
- A detailed CV
FIND MORE OPPORTUNITIES HERE:
- LATEST Entry-Level Jobs in SA
- LATEST Internships & Learnerships in SA
- LATEST Bursaries in SA
- LATEST Career Tips & Resources
- LATEST Grants & Funding
- LATEST Contests for South Africans
- Join our Telegram channel so you’ll never miss an opportunity. Simply CLICK HERE, and you’re in!
S’bo Parker has 4 years experience writing and curating verified entry-level jobs, internships, bursaries and career resources for South African youth. Every month, Scholarly Africa reaches at least 1 million job-seekers in South Africa alone. S’bo is also a lover of electric vehicles andclean energy, and a climate science enthusiast. Find her thrilling articles on Climativa.com.