TABLE OF CONTENTS
UNISA is recruiting and applications are invited from suitably qualified professionals for the vacancies: Online Independent Contractor (Markers).
Closing date: 02 February 2024
Assumption of duty: The candidates will have to undergo an interview (either face-to-face or Microsoft Teams) and online Moodle training sessions. Completion of the prescribed training on various aspects of Marking on the Moodle platform is compulsory.
Independent Contractor (MARKER) positions are available in the modules listed in the Department of Language Education, Arts and Culture (see document at bottom of this post).
Unisa is the largest open distance learning institution in Africa, the longest standing dedicated distance education university in the world. We enrol nearly one-third of South African students.
Here is Unisa at a glance:
- 370 000+ students
- 54 000+ students obtain certificates, diplomas & degrees annually
- 500+ qualifications offered
- 1 000 000+ Unisa alumni
UNISA is the only publicly funded institution in South Africa dedicated to distance education.
In keeping with its mandate as a comprehensive, open and distance learning tertiary institution offering a variety of academic and career-focused programmes, the University is inviting applications for services as Online Teaching Assistants on an independent contract basis.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Complete and execute assessment task professionally
- Comply and adhere to all Unisa tuition, assessment and examination and plagiarism policies and guidelines
- Act in the ethical and professional manner dealing with all assessment tasks
- Execute duties as stipulated in contract and task agreement
- Marking of assessment tasks fairly and consistently
- Meet deadlines of allocated assessment task
- Attend markers meeting and submit marking reports timeously
- Maintain confidentiality of all assessment tasks
- Applicable and relevant equivalent to NQF level 9 (MEd/MPhil/MTech/MEd OR NQF level 10 (e.g. Ph.D/ DEd/DPhil/DTech) Specialization in Sociology of Education/Comparative and International Education/History Education/Philosophy of Education or any related disciplines.
- At least 5-years teaching experience (primary or secondary) or relevant experience in the education field (TVET College /University)
- At least 3-years subject methodology teaching experience (CAPS school) or 5-years relevant experience in the education field (TVET College /University)
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Basic knowledge of the discipline applying for
- Basic knowledge of assessment and assessment practices
- Basic knowledge of marking and procedures
- Basic knowledge of constructive feedback on assessment tasks
- Basic knowledge of academic dishonesty and plagiarism
- Knowledge of teamwork/leadership skills
- Good interpersonal and communication skills (listening, speaking, reading and writing)
- Must be honest / ethical and show empathy when required to mark assessment tasks
- Must have good problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Must be service orientated (Actively looking for ways to help and support lecturer or students)
- Must have good time management skills
- Ability to resolve conflict and maintain confidentiality of all assessment tasks
- Ability to work under pressure with adherence to deadlines
- Computer and Internet skills
- Have own desktop computer or laptop and internet connectivity (no computers or data bundles will be provided)
- Advanced communication skills and proficiency in English
- Digital literacy skills – competent in ICT and online learning environments
- Experience in online marking tools or software or LMS (Moodle will be an advantage)
- Commitment to marking and meeting deadlines for all assessments
- Friendly, patient, and sensitive to a diversity of students
HOW TO APPLY
To apply please fill the application form by clicking this link https://forms.office.com/r/ntfS0808Xx and submit the following documents via e-mail.
1) An application letter indicating willingness to mark assignments and/or exam scripts for any of the modules listed below.
2) Comprehensive UPDATED and signed curriculum vitae (most recent)
3) Only a certified copy of the HIGHEST qualification as per requirement
4) Certified copy of ID/Passport and valid visa
Please write the module code of the module you are applying for on the subject line of the e-mail.
Note: The required documents should be submitted as a single file (one PDF) to the email provided below
FIND MORE OPPORTUNITIES HERE:
- LATEST Entry-Level Jobs in SA
- LATEST Internships & Learnerships in SA
- LATEST Bursaries in SA
- LATEST Career Tips & Resources
- LATEST Grants & Funding
- LATEST Contests for South Africans
- Join our Telegram channel so you’ll never miss an opportunity. Simply CLICK HERE, and you’re in!
S’bo Parker has 4 years experience writing and curating verified entry-level jobs, internships, bursaries and career resources for South African youth. Every month, Scholarly Africa reaches at least 1 million job-seekers in South Africa alone. S’bo is also a lover of electric vehicles andclean energy, and a climate science enthusiast. Find her thrilling articles on Climativa.com.