TABLE OF CONTENTS
De Beers Group is hiring and invites qualifying candidates to apply for the job vacancy: Occupational Hygiene Officer.
Closing Date: 15 March 2024
- Business Unit / Group Function: De Beers Group
- Area: Engineering
- Reference Id: REF54872G
- Experience / Work Type: Entry Level / Permanent Employee
Location: Venetia Mine, Musina, South Africa
The Occupational Hygiene Officer is involved in the planning of monitoring, the measurement of Health stressors (e.g. air monitoring) the evaluation and interpretation of exposures to ensure that Venetia Mine remains compliant with health and hygiene legislation.
ABOUT ANGLO AMERICAN PLATINUM
Anglo American is a global diversified mining business. Their portfolio of world-class mining operations provides the metals and minerals that make modern life possible.
Anglo American uses innovative practices and the latest technologies to discover new resources and mine, process, move and market their products to their customers around the world.
To push our company forwards, we always need to think differently. We welcome diverse perspectives, people who spark fresh thinking and aren’t afraid to challenge assumptions.
In return, we provide you with the space and support to grow and achieve your ambitions.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Personal and area monitoring, measuring, and controlling of chemical and physical hazards (e.g. noise, thermal stress).
- Produce monthly feedback reports on work done for compliance
- Conduct surveys of workplaces with potential occupational health hazards in the form of chemical hazards, physical hazards, ergonomic hazards, and biological hazards.
- Conduct SHE File audits to ensure compliance with the Occupational Hygiene requirements as per OHSAS 18001 & and mine procedures.
- Evaluate and quantify the levels of the different hazards present by making use of specialized equipment and instrumentation.
- Compare findings of assessments and surveys with statutory exposure limits in order to determine if a potentially hazardous situation exists.
- Capturing actions on Safety Management System for deviations in the workplace that may lead to occupational health hazards as per survey recommendations.
- Knowledge sharing through training of the workforce in identifying and addressing health and hygiene hazards.
- Assist the Senior Occupational Hygiene Officer in conducting and performing occupational health risk assessments (under the guidance of the appointed occupational hygienist).
- Assist the Senior Occupational Hygiene Officer in planning, design, and implementation of occupational hygiene programs and control measures.
- Conduct investigations of overexposures (chemical and physical hazards) and recommend controls for risk mitigation.
- Calibrating and maintaining sampling equipment.
You must have:
- Grade 12 certificate or relevant national NQF level qualification.
- Intermediate Certificate in Mine Environmental Control
- Code 08 (B) Driver’s License.
- Successfully obtain a Red Ticket (Medical Fitness certificate) and pass Heat Tolerance Screening for Underground Fitness.
- Your consideration for employment is subject to your SAPS Criminal Record verification and qualifications verification.
- 3 Years’ Experience in the occupational hygiene environment.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Knowledge of Occupational Hygiene policies, and procedures and the important role of consistently demonstrating required behaviours and championing safety values.
- Provides a consistent outstanding role model in relation to Occupational Hygiene practices with a deep understanding of the importance of workforce health.
- Knowledge of relevant legislation.
- Demonstrated understanding of the Mines Health and Safety Act.
- Know all procedures and COPs related to Occupational Hygiene.
- Ability to think innovatively, broad technical knowledge of occupational hygiene, and interpretation of results.
- Be prepared to work shifts, do standby duties, callouts and work overtime as per the role requirements
- Medical Certificate of Fitness to work underground
- The post is dependent on the successful completion of the Company’s pre-employment protocol such as qualifications verification, relevant psychometric assessments and a clear security clearance
HOW TO APPLY
To apply for this role, please complete the online application form. You will have the opportunity to upload your CV and other relevant documentation as part of this process.
FIND MORE OPPORTUNITIES HERE:
- LATEST Entry-Level Jobs in SA
- LATEST Internships & Learnerships in SA
- LATEST Bursaries in SA
- LATEST Career Tips & Resources
- LATEST Grants & Funding
- LATEST Contests for South Africans
- Join our Telegram channel so you’ll never miss an opportunity. Simply CLICK HERE, and you’re in!
S’bo Parker has 4 years experience writing and curating verified entry-level jobs, internships, bursaries and career resources for South African youth. Every month, Scholarly Africa reaches at least 1 million job-seekers in South Africa alone. S’bo is also a lover of electric vehicles andclean energy, and a climate science enthusiast. Find her thrilling articles on Climativa.com.