TABLE OF CONTENTS
Gatsby Africa is recruiting and invites dynamic recent graduates to apply for the entry-level Graduate Programme 2024.
Closing date: 07 February 2024
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Are you looking for an opportunity to drive positive change in East Africa? Gatsby Africa (GA), is on a mission to help transform economies by supporting several key sectors to achieve ambitious levels of growth, become globally competitive and in doing so uplift the livelihoods of large numbers of people.
They are looking for dynamic, purpose-driven, and forward-thinking individuals to join them in making this vision a reality.
ABOUT GATSBY AFRICA
Gatsby Africa is a private foundation set up by Lord David Sainsbury that is committed to building stronger economies in East Africa through the transformation of high-potential sectors.
To address this, Gatsby catalyses large-scale and lasting change in high-potential sectors in East Africa in order to benefit hundreds of thousands of people over the long term.
They have a portfolio of six sectors across Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania and Uganda: aquaculture, agricultural inputs, textiles & apparel, forestry, livestock and water services. In addition, Gatsby has been supporting work in the tea industry in Tanzania and Rwanda through our partner, The Wood Foundation.
WORKING AT GATSBY AFRICA
Working for GA is not just about a paycheck at the end of the month; you’ll be actively contributing to meaningful work that has the potential to benefit millions of East Africans.
Every day will be a unique adventure where you will witness the direct impact of your work and learn from colleagues and global experts in different economic sectors.
The Gatsby Africa Team’s strength lies in its diverse workforce! The team consists of 120+ employees of 8+ nationalities and most of them are based in East Africa. Colleagues come from different backgrounds and industries, some come from the private sector, including some leading management consultancies and businesses in the region. Together they make GA a fun place to work and learn.
Gatsby Africa is excited to launch an entry-level program aimed at developing the future leaders of GA and those who will be change-makers for them and the economies of East Africa.
The program is designed for those who want to create a real impact in their work. In return, GA will offer you comprehensive training, mentorship, and diverse assignments in a flexible, dynamic working environment to foster your career growth.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
You will join a cohort of 10-15 young, like-minded early-career professionals looking to make a mark in sector transformation.
You will have the opportunity to do challenging but meaningful and rewarding work across their different sector programmes. This will help you develop a set of core transferable skills and knowledge such as understanding various analytical techniques, different business models and sector strategies.
This will help kickstart and propel your career either within GA or arm you with valuable transferable business skills useful for a multitude of career directions.
In your first year with GA, you will be allocated to a sector programme, it can be anything from Aquaculture to Commercial Forestry or Livestock. You will be in a learning environment where lessons are shared between sectors, and after your first year with us, you will also have the option to move to another sector in the program’s second year.
What you will need to be eligible for a spot in the program
- A Master’s or Bachelor’s degree in business, economics, environmental, sociology or related fields
- Strong academic record (first class or 3.5 GPA)
- Between 1-5 years’ work experience.
- Demonstrating the attributes needed for the role.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
What you will bring to the role
- Strong motivation, energy and a curiosity to learn.
- Analytical skills and a desire to seek evidence and data.
- Entrepreneurship and creativity.
- Good communication skills (verbal and written).
- Teamwork and collaboration.
- Innovative thinking.
- Adaptive and agile.
REMUNERATIION AND ALLOWANCES
What’s in it for you?
- Challenging Work: Experience solving complex problems in multiple sectors, contributing to meaningful initiatives in our sector programmes and making a significant impact.
- Learning and Development: Develop a set of core skills and knowledge necessary to excel in your career.
- Career progression: The entry-level program will lead to exciting career growth opportunities within Gatsby.
- Competitive Compensation: You’ll receive a competitive salary and benefits package that reflects your contributions.
- Networking: You’ll have the chance to build a professional network, connecting with colleagues and industry experts.
- Career prospects after the program: The programme will give you an excellent start to your career in development with a wide range of prospects through various assignments. GA doesn’t believe in putting people in boxes so your career path will depend on your initiative, and you will be provided with all the tools you need to succeed.
HOW TO APPLY
The Recruitment Process
GA understands that this is an important step in your career journey, and believes in empowering you to make an informed decision about whether this program aligns with your career aspirations.
Equally, they are committed to understanding your motivations, personality, and experiences. The process will involve several steps, and you are encouraged to see this as a two-way street, where you’re not just being interviewed by GA, but you’re also interviewing them.
Here is how it will work:
- Application and headhunting stage
- Psychometric assessment
- Assessment centres
- Final interview
If you meet the criteria of what we are looking for and would like to apply, please complete the application questionnaire, including an up-to-date CV (of no more than three pages) and a cover letter.
Your cover letter should be one page long at maximum. It should explain why you are interested in this opportunity and Gatsby Africa, and how your skills and experience make you a good fit. Bullet point cover letters will not be considered.
FIND MORE OPPORTUNITIES HERE:
- LATEST Entry-Level Jobs in SA
- LATEST Internships & Learnerships in SA
- LATEST Bursaries in SA
- LATEST Career Tips & Resources
- LATEST Grants & Funding
- LATEST Contests for South Africans
- Join our Telegram channel so you’ll never miss an opportunity. Simply CLICK HERE, and you’re in!
S’bo Parker has 4 years experience writing and curating verified entry-level jobs, internships, bursaries and career resources for South African youth. Every month, Scholarly Africa reaches at least 1 million job-seekers in South Africa alone. S’bo is also a lover of electric vehicles andclean energy, and a climate science enthusiast. Find her thrilling articles on Climativa.com.