TABLE OF CONTENTS
With only a few weeks left before the closing date, do not miss out on the opportunity to enter the SA FM Playwriting Competition, and stand a chance to win good prizes.
Closing date: 22 January 2024
This is an invitation to writers to explore the medium of sound, “the theatre of the mind” by creating a 60 (sixty) minutes radio play in English for SAfm. Entries open from the 6th of November 2023 until the 22nd January 2024.
First prize is R50,000,00 (Fifty Thousand Rand) the second prize R35,000,00 (Thirty Five Thousand rand) and the third prize R20,000,00 (Twenty Thousand Rand).
- Plays submitted must be of 60 (sixty) minutes, original works, and not previously broadcasted.
- Plays must be specifically written for radio; stage plays or plays requiring adaptation will not be considered.
- Plays must be written in South African English. 95% (ninety five percent) South African English.
- This Competition is open to any South African citizens of all ages and races.
- Entries should be typed in a font comparable to 11-point Century Gothic, double-spaced and on one side of the paper only. The standard size of a radio script is A4. Following these guidelines, a 60 (sixty) minute play would run to about 45 (forty five) pages. Words- 7000 (seven thousand)-8000 (eight thousand) words.
- There are no limits to the choice of topics or the style of writing: Comedy, Tragedy, Fable or Folklore, Social or Domestic Drama, Satire, “Slice of Life”. If it appeals to the target market (daytime radio).
- Submissions should reach SAfm by 5pm (17:00) on 22th January 2024, late submissions will not be considered.
- Authors must certify that plays submitted are their original works and must indemnify the SABC against any infringement of copyright, deliberate or otherwise
- If a play submitted contains any material (a quotation from a poem, for example) which is subject to copyright restrictions, the author must ensure they have obtained all relevant copyright clearances, if required and furnish the SABC with same.
- One entry per author.
- The Competition Judges’ decisions shall be final, and no correspondence will be entered into in this respect.
- Prizes are not transferrable and are not negotiable.
- SAfm reserves the right to withhold the awarding of prizes if no entries are considered by the Judges to merit them.
EXCLUSION FROM THE COMPETITION
- Employees of the SABC, agencies, prize sponsors or any person directly or indirectly involved in the organisation or running of the Competition, or their immediate family members.
- Previous winners of the competition.
- Individual whose work have been produced by SAfm.
- Translation of already published works
HOW TO ENTER
WRITERS ARE REQUESTED TO FILL IN THE ENTRY FORM. PLEASE STATE YOUR REAL NAMEs ON THE ENTRY FORM. YOUR NAME SHOULD ONLY APPEAR ON THE ENTRY FORM AND NOT ON THE SCRIPT.
Plays should be emailed to: [email protected].
The winners of this competition will be announced on SAfm on the 4th of March 2024. Please note that only the winners will be personally notified.
SAfm will have the right to broadcast each of the winning entries twice, with subsequent broadcasts, if any, attracting repeat payment at current rates. Other entries of a high standard may, at the sole discretion of SAfm, also be broadcast by SAfm in the usual way at current rates of payment.
SAfm reserves the exclusive right to contract any plays entered in this competition for a period of 6 (six) months after the announcement of the winners.
- For more information contact SAfm Drama’s on [email protected]
- Competition Name: SAfm Playwriting Competition
- Applicable For: Competition open to South African Citizens only
Competition Deadline: 22 January 2024, at 5pm
Find more info and the entry form below.
FIND MORE OPPORTUNITIES HERE:
- LATEST Entry-Level Jobs in SA
- LATEST Internships & Learnerships in SA
- LATEST Bursaries in SA
- LATEST Career Tips & Resources
- LATEST Grants & Funding
- LATEST Contests for South Africans
- Join our Telegram channel so you’ll never miss an opportunity. Simply CLICK HERE, and you’re in!
S’bo Parker has 4 years experience writing and curating verified entry-level jobs, internships, bursaries and career resources for South African youth. Every month, Scholarly Africa reaches at least 1 million job-seekers in South Africa alone. S’bo is also a lover of electric vehicles andclean energy, and a climate science enthusiast. Find her thrilling articles on Climativa.com.