Yibanathi Nhlakanipho has 6 years experience writing and curating verified entry-level jobs, internships, bursaries and career resources for South African youth. Every month, her articles on Scholarly Africa reach at least 1 million job-seekers.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Stellenbosch University Law Clinic is recruiting and invites applications for the vacancy: Candidate Legal Practitioners (Candidate Attorneys).
Closing date: 22 September 2023
Candidate Legal Practitioners (Candidate Attorneys)
- Three positions
- Two-year full-time fixed-term contract)
- Ref. RG04/243/0823
ABOUT STELLENBOSCH UNIVERSITY
The history of Stellenbosch University (SU) dates as far back as the 17th century, when regular school education was initiated in the town of Stellenbosch in 1685.
The main campus in the picturesque university town of Stellenbosch in the heart of the Western Cape winelands is quite an attraction for students.
SU has ten faculties: AgriSciences, Economic and Management Sciences, Medical and Health Sciences, Engineering, Military Sciences, Arts and Social Sciences, Military Science, Science, Law, and Theology.
The Law Clinic operates as a fully-fledged attorneys’ office, delivering free legal services to the indigent, whilst at the same time training final year law students and candidate legal practitioners in the practical application of the law.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Entering into, and abiding by, the required tripartite contract of service learning with a principal attorney and the Legal Practice Council. Duties include:
- Providing support to other practitioners within the firm on all aspects of legal practice;
- Assisting in the preparation of matters for trials or hearings;
- Conducting research and preparing legal opinions;
- Attending consultations with clients, witnesses and experts;
- Attending court appearances, including pre-trial conferences and trial proceedings;
- Liaising with counsel, experts, clients and opponents;
- Attending to the day-to-day management of files under the supervision of other practitioners
- Drafting agreements, letters and other legal documents;
- Assisting and supporting students as well as any teaching offered by the Law Clinic;
- Conducting other daily administrative and legal practices.
- An LLB qualification;
- Verbal and written fluency in English and Afrikaans, or English and IsiXhosa;
- Good legal writing skills;
- The ability to work as part of a team and independently;
- The ability and willingness to work outside office hours, including on weekends as may be required from time to time;
- The ability to maintain good interpersonal relationships;
- The ability to work under pressure;
- The ability to work on own initiative;
- Sharing the values upon which the Law Clinic is founded;
- The ability to function effectively in a multicultural environment.
- Relevant prior work experience;
- Existing knowledge of and familiarity with the work of the Law Clinic.
HOW TO APPLY
Stellenbosch University is committed to employment equity (EE), and appointments will be made in line with the EE plan for the specific environment as well as the institutional EE Plan of the University.
Stellenbosch University reserves the right not to make an appointment.
Your application, comprising a comprehensive curriculum vitae (including the names and email addresses of at least three referees), must reach the University before or on the closing date of the advertised post.
APPLY ONLINE AT https://www.sun.ac.za/english/careers BY USING THE APPLY NOW LINK AT THE TOP RIGHT-HAND CORNER OF THE SPECIFIC VACANCY PAGE.
The University reserves the right to investigate qualifications and conduct background checks on all candidates.
The Occupational Health and Safety Act requires people in occupations that entail potential exposure to certain hazards (such as, but not limited to: noise, hazardous chemical substances and hazardous biological agents) to be subjected to medical screening, to determine their fitness to work in the said occupations.
Should no feedback be received from the University within four to six weeks of the closing date, kindly accept that your application did not succeed.
FIND MORE OPPORTUNITIES HERE:
- LATEST Entry-Level Jobs in SA
- LATEST Internships & Learnerships in SA
- LATEST Bursaries in SA
- LATEST Career Tips & Resources
- LATEST Grants & Funding
- LATEST Contests for South Africans
- Join our Telegram channel so you’ll never miss an opportunity. Simply CLICK HERE, and you’re in!