South African Revenue Service (SARS) is hiring and invites applications for the vacancy: Legal Debt Collector (Tax) (x3 posts).
Closing Date: 14 June 2023
Location: Dooringkloof, Head Office, Cape Town
- Position Reports to: Operations Manager
- Division: Service & Delivery Centralized
SARS is seeking to employ highly skilled, experienced, results driven, self-motivated functional specialists: Debt collection with sound judgement and strong business acumen who will contribute towards our higher purpose and service orientation.
About the Position
SARS is seeking to employ highly skilled, experienced, results driven, self-motivated functional specialist Debt collection with sound judgement and strong business acumen who will contribute towards our higher purpose and service orientation.
The successful candidates will need to have experience in planning, managing, and monitoring the implementation of debt collection activities and end-to-end processes, by managing the operational activities of the team and ensure that the team meets its target within the set quality, turnaround time and productivity norms, to deliver on approved operational plans and to continuously enhance service delivery.
The successful candidates will need to have experience and responsible for Final Demand procedures, Court Judgements, Warrant of Execution, and Placing of Liens, Personal liability, interpretation of interpleader notices, Business Rescue processes and the value chain of debt recovery procedures
To enforce the collection of debt from enforcement cases, escalated debt and/or escalated outstanding returns cases to ensure compliance.
Education and Experience
Minimum Qualification & Experience Required: Relevant National Diploma / Advanced Certificate (NQF 6) AND 2-3 years Debt Management experience in a Debt Collection Environment
Senior Certificate (NQF 4) AND 5 years Debt Management experience in a Debt Collection Environment
Minimum Functional Requirements: Legal aspects of collections (Sequestrations, Liquidations, etc), In-depth Analysis of Financial Statements (including ration analysis and interpretation), Audit Assessments, Accounting, Risk Management, Customs & Excise legislation, Asset Seizure protocols.
- Accumulate information and provide reports with recommendations applicable to area of specialisation.
- Apply practical and applied knowledge and act authoritatively on methods, systems, and procedures to identify trends and potential risks.
- Communication of situational interpretation and judgement of work outputs and queries in area of specialisation.
- Effectively plan and schedule own activities to continuously improve quality and service delivery in area of specialisation.
- Execute process and procedural change, implement the change, and provide guidelines and support related to new requirements because of the change.
- Use practical and applied knowledge and situational judgement to consider policy implications and to arrive at decisions / conclusions.
- Correctly apply applicable legislation, including amongst other policies, procedures, and SOPs in the delivery of work outputs.
- Conduct pre-assessment profile of the taxpayer including related /connected parties/linked entities and determine any risks to SARS
- Determine the collectability of debt, evaluate whether there is risk of dissipation of assets, determine whether taxpayer intends to dispute and recommend whether preservation order and/or caveats should be considered.
- Complete a referral for suspicious activity RSN/STO and follow up with relevant stakeholders
- Compile collection input report to cases to be presented to the Large Assessments Committees/National Appeals Committees
- Execute all necessary legal enforcement collection actions within the framework of TAA and Companies Act for all tax types as selected
- Profile, Analyse, Prepare and present a submission for Suspension of Obligation to Pay/Write-Off to relevant Debt Committee and capture the outcome.
- Analyse, Negotiate, Prepare and Present the requests for a deferral of payment/compromise settlement from the taxpayer to the relevant Debt Committee and notify the taxpayer of the outcome.
- Monitor payments against the deferral/ compromise agreement and secure updates to the journals and closure of case file upon payment in full.
- Conduct physical verification and evaluation of moveable and immovable assets
- Receive and process a motivation in favour or against the business rescue plans and present the case to the relevant committee for approval or refer for Specialisation.
- Monitor legislation compliance throughout the Business Rescue processes and ensure payments received.
- Collate all the necessary documentation for applications for liquidation /sequestration and upload for case coding and refer where necessary for Specialisation.
- Attend all internal and external stakeholder meetings including creditors meetings, attend court proceedings, Tax enquiry etc
- Reduce the debt book through adjustment and Write-Offs as approved by the relevant Committee.
- Analyse liquidations plans/Sequestrations applications/Business Rescue plans/Trusts/other creditors that can be held liable for the debt and make motivation for further enforcement action
- Initiate and Execute enforcement actions to secure highest return for SARS
- Prepare a motivation in favour or against the enforcement actions, highlight the risks to the organisation and present the case to the relevant committees for approval.
- Participate in debt collection from high-risk projects as selected by Audit and Investigations.
- Identify any taxpayer assets that may be in foreign countries and refer debt collection process for International Recovery.
- Comply to set governance and compliance procedures and processes related to an area of specialisation and continuously identify and escalate risks.
- Develop and maintain productive working relationships with peers and team members to achieve predefined objectives.
- Adhere to organisational policies and procedures to ensure cost effectiveness and reduction of financial costs.
- Contribute to a culture of service excellence, which builds positive relationships and provides opportunity for feedback and exceptional service.
- Ensure own understanding and adherence to customer service delivery and provide specialist support to meet or exceed customer expectations.
- Analytical Thinking
- Attention to Detail
- Building Sustainability
- Commitment to Continuous Learning
- Conceptual Ability
- Fairness and Transparency
- Honesty and Integrity
- Organisational Awareness
- Business Knowledge
- Debt Management
- Efficiency improvement
- Execute, Implement and Follow-Through
- Functional Policies and Procedures
- Legal Compliance
- Negotiating Skills
- Risk and Compliance
- Risk Awareness
- Risk Knowledge
- Standard Operating Procedures Compliance
- Tax Knowledge
- Verbal Communication
- GOC Confidential
The Employment Equity policy of SARS will be considered as part of the recruitment and selection process and Persons with Disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Successful candidates will be required to undertake an oath of secrecy, pre-employment screening, case study, pre-assessment, psychometric assessment and or vetting, and a declaration of private interest.
The appointment is also subject to appropriate reference(s) and security clearance where applicable.
FIND MORE OPPORTUNITIES HERE:
- LATEST Entry-Level Jobs in SA
- LATEST Internships & Learnerships in SA
- LATEST Bursaries in SA
- LATEST Career Tips & Resources
- LATEST Grants & Funding
- LATEST Contests for South Africans
- Join our Telegram channel so you’ll never miss an opportunity. Simply CLICK HERE, and you’re in!
Yibanathi Nhlakanipho has 6 years experience writing and curating verified entry-level jobs, internships, bursaries and career resources for South African youth. Every month, her articles on Scholarly Africa reach at least 1 million job-seekers.