Junior Health and Safety Officer vacancy at Southern Oil (Pty) Ltd
Southern Oil (Pty) Ltd is hiring and invites applications from suitably qualified persons for the vacancy: Junior Health and Safety Officer.
- Location: Swellendam, Western Cape, South Africa
- Closing Date: 15 May 2023
Our mission is to be a profitable and sustainable leader in developing and producing high-quality health products in the edible oils industry.
We strive to uplift the community and build a prosperous workforce. Our employees are purpose-driven, results-orientated and community-focused.
That is why we seek people passionate about achieving their maximum potential. In turn, we support their development and provide continued growth opportunities – which ultimately impact the growth of our business.
The main purpose of the Junior Health and Safety Officer is to provide support for the Risk and Safety Officer to ensure the compliance, implementation, monitoring, maintenance and evaluation of Southern Oil as an organization.
- Assist with the implementation of health and safety systems across all sites
- Inspection and spot checks of the onsite Fire Fighting / Detection equipment. Ensure that all Fire detection systems, fire extinguishers are serviced, maintained and in a state of readiness at all times.
- Provide support with the implementing health and safety management system for the company
- Performing the risk identification, evaluation & development of safe work procedures, provide guidance to departments.
- Ensure that all accidents are properly recorded, reported & investigated, provide guidance to departments.
- Provide feedback in Safety Meetings.
- Follow up with departments on SHE rep inspections and close out of health and safety related items. Filing of relevant documentation
- Conduct audits and inspections on contractors in line with legal requirements.
- Provide informal Health & Safety training for employees
- Reporting to Risk and Safety Officer on deviations identified and required actions to be taken
- Ensure that Safety-, Health- & Environmental Reports are submitted to the risk and safety office for further actions
- Ensure that inspections referring to all departments are taking place, captured and filed correctly. Ensure deviations are closed out timeously
- Report health and safety deviations in the construction and installations
- Ensure contractors Safety files are up to date
- Ensure compliance to Health and Safety statutory requirements
- Responsible for site induction program for all employees, contractors and visitors
Minimum Qualification and Experience
- Grade 12
- Relevant qualification would be advantageous
- A minimum of 2 to 3 years general Health and Safety working experience essential
- Working experience within a suited FMCG environment recommended
Skills, Knowledge and Attributes
- Computer literacy – on all MS Office Packages
- Knowledge and understanding of the OHSA & Regulations, NFPA 36, SANS 10400 (Fire Extinguishers), SANS 10139 ( Fire Detection)
- Good understanding of relevant legislation.
- Good communication skills, both written and verbal
- Eagerness and high level of interest in the subject matter.
- Ability to work towards and meet deadlines
- High level of integrity
- Integrity: Honesty, sincerity and adherence to high standards.
- Ability to work independantly
- Strong administration, organisation and problem-solving skills.
- Good understanding of safety culture
- Ability to manage health & safety, medical and security requirements.
We welcome applications from all suitably qualified candidates, but South African citizens will have a distinct advantage.
The opportunity listed has minimum requirements listed and management reserves the right to use additional or other relevant information as criteria for short listing.
FIND MORE OPPORTUNITIES HERE:
- LATEST Entry-Level Jobs in SA
- LATEST Internships & Learnerships in SA
- LATEST Bursaries in SA
- LATEST Career Tips & Resources
- LATEST Grants & Funding
- LATEST Contests for South Africans
- Join our Telegram channel so you’ll never miss an opportunity. Simply CLICK HERE, and you’re in!