South African Fulbright Foreign Student Program 2024 – 2025 | APPLY NOW
Applications are still open for the South African Fulbright Foreign Student Program 2024 – 2025 for fully-funded postgraduate studies in the US.
Closing date: 01 May 2023
The South African Fulbright Foreign Student Program provides grants for South African university graduates to pursue post-graduate studies at a United States university in any subject (excludes MBA and studies that require contact with patients).
Students are selected through a rigorous application and interview process and receive a high level of support ranging from visa processing and health insurance to a comprehensive pre-departure orientation and re-entry session.
The following opportunities are available:
- Visiting Student Researcher (non-degree) : South African PhD students enrolled with a South African University may apply to conduct one year’s research at a U.S. University as a Visiting Student Researcher (VSR). Current National Research Foundation (NRF) funded PhD students are encouraged to apply.
- Master’s or PhD: Post-graduate students may apply for scholarships towards Master’s or Doctorate degrees. Scholarships are awarded for two years towards one degree – Master’s or Doctorate.
- Be a South African citizen OR a permanent resident with a minimum of 5 years of permanent residency status in South Africa (Please note: S.A. nationals with dual citizenship from the U.S. are not eligible for the program)
- Have one of the following academic degrees:
- Visiting Student Researcher: Be registered for a PhD at a South African university at the time of application (May 1, 2023) as well as be registered still at the time that you will commence your research in the U.S. (August 2024)
- When applying for a Master’s degree: a 4-year Bachelor’s degree, BTech degree or a 3-year Bachelor’s degree with an Honors degree
- When applying for a Doctorate degree: a Master’s degree
What do we look for in our applicants?
- Academic excellence
- Evidence of leadership potential
- Clearly written study objectives
- Demonstrable interpersonal skills with evidence of cultural sensitivity and a genuine desire to learn more about the United States and share with American citizens aspects of South African culture
- Experience and interest in extracurricular and community activities
- A desire to further the Fulbright Program and give back to your home country upon returning
- Required scores for the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) and Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)
- The Selection Committee and the Interview Panel will also be looking for clear reasons for selecting your U.S. university preferences.
- The Fulbright Program expects candidates to conduct a thorough university search and to identify institutions which are a strong fit for their academic, personal and professional goals.
Guidance for applicants – Read before commencing your application:
South Africa Fulbright Foreign Student Program Application Guidelines and Instructions (332kb PDF)
General Application Guidelines:
FFSP 2024-2025 IIE Detailed Application Instructions (538kb PDF)
For questions not addressed via any of the above resources, please contact the Fulbright Office: [email protected]
You may also join the zoom session on this link: https://bit.ly/3LYiGyM
Application deadline: May 1, 2023
FIND MORE OPPORTUNITIES HERE:
- LATEST Entry-Level Jobs in SA
- LATEST Internships & Learnerships in SA
- LATEST Bursaries in SA
- LATEST Career Tips & Resources
- LATEST Grants & Funding
- LATEST Contests for South Africans
- Join our Telegram channel so you’ll never miss an opportunity. Simply CLICK HERE, and you’re in!