UNISA is hiring Online Teaching Assistants
UNISA, the only publicly funded institution in South Africa dedicated to distance education, is hiring Online Teaching Assistants.
This is in keeping with its mandate as a comprehensive, open and distance learning tertiary institution offering a variety of academic and career-focused programmes.
The University will appoint the Online Teaching Assistants on an independent contract basis.
Teaching Assistants (TAs) will have the following duties:
- Familiarise yourself online with the subject content of the course
- Review and give feedback regarding the online study content and all assessments at the start and during the semester
- Familiarise yourself with the pedagogical approach followed to teach the online course, including by attending required online training provided by Unisa
- Familiarise yourself online with the myUnisa learning platform, including by attending required online training provided by Unisa
- Actively engage and contribute on the TA support site, by performing tasks allocated by lecturers and by assisting fellow TAs who are struggling
- Actively mentor one or more new TAs to ensure they meet performance standards
- Contribute with new ideas and draft content or assessment questions at the request of lecturers
- Actively facilitate, support and guide student online learning for approximately 200 assigned students
- Facilitate subject-related student online discussions, per instructions of lecturers
- Participate in online round-robin test pack marking as required by lecturers for approximately six assessments
- Participate in online test pack marking meetings on Teams for approximately six assessments
- Mark (grade) approximately six student online assignments
- Provide personalised feedback on approximately six student online assignments
- Contribute to the preparation of online generic pre-guidance and post-feedback regarding approximately six online student assessments
- Respond within 24 to 48 hours in a professional manner to student queries using the University platform
- Interact frequently online with the lead lecturer as directed
- Fulfil online ad-hoc and administrative tasks related to the TA role, e.g., marking spreadsheets, plagiarism reports, high risk student reports, etc.
NQF 5 , 6 & 7 modules – Must have a Masters Degree in Accounting Sciences OR PhD in Accounting Sciences OR CA(SA)/CIMA/Relevant specialized professional body registration
COMPETENCIES,SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES
- Excellent performance in a range of assessments covering module content and the use of the teaching platform
- Be committed to meeting deadlines and have a passion for student-centred learning
- Have excellent communication skills and proficiency in English (all communication will be text based)
- Being a former Unisa student would be an advantage owing to operational knowledge of the myUnisa platform.
- Teaching experience will be an advantage
As an Independent Contractor you will:
- Not be regarded as an employee
- Not be entitled to any benefits such as medical, office space, equipment, leave (including sick leave), etc in terms of the UNISA’s conditions of service.
- Provide your own infrastructure i.e. your own computer, your own internet access and any other office-related equipment.
- Not be based at a Unisa campus or any location linked to the University
- Work on your own time in completing teaching tasks online for a minimum of 20 hours a week (e.g. marking of assignments, interacting with students on discussion forums, sending emails, etc). These hours should be spread over most days of the week.
The College specific appointment criteria are as follows:
CAS1501 PERSPECTIVES ON ACCOUNTANCY
In this module, students are:
- Introduced to the roles of and principles applicable to accountancy professionals and the pervasive qualities and skills associated with such roles and principles;
- Guided towards an appreciation for the different principles and orientations of ethical behaviour in personal, business and professional accountancy contexts;
- Exposed to the fundamentals of fraud and corruption, including their attributes, impacts and motivators in accountancy contexts; and
- Exposed to the foundation for practising accountancy in an ethical and professionally competent manner.
To apply, you need to supply the following:
Send your combined documents and form to [email protected]
- identity document (non-South African applicants may apply with: passport, work permit, permanent residence permit or proof of nationalisation if applicable. However prescribed policy processes will be followed for appointment) (certified copies within the previous six months);
- all educational qualifications (certified copies within the previous six months);
- academic transcripts/records (certified copies within the previous six months);
- proof of SAQA verification for foreign qualifications (if applicable) (certified copies within the previous six months)
- UNISA reserves the right to authenticate all qualifications without any further consent from the applicant.
- The contact details of three contactable references must be provided.
- Late, incomplete and incorrect applications will not be considered NB : Please send the single pdf
- Unisa is not obliged to fill an advertised position, reserves the right to authenticate all qualifications without any further consent from the applicant.
Assumption of duty: 01 February 2023
Closing Date: 20 January 2023
Enquiries Susan Phaahla [email protected], (012) 429 8693
Monthly remuneration: R14 960 per month – conditional on activation of TA role, not on contract date#
FIND MORE OPPORTUNITIES HERE:
- LATEST Entry-Level Jobs in SA
- LATEST Internships & Learnerships in SA
- LATEST Bursaries in SA
- LATEST Career Tips & Resources
- LATEST Grants & Funding
- LATEST Contests around Africa
- LATEST News and MORE!
- Join our Telegram channel so you’ll never miss an opportunity. Simply CLICK HERE, and you’re in!