IBM South Africa (Pty) Ltd invites South African citizens to apply for the Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme 2023 in Johannesburg.
IBM Research is one of the world’s largest and most influential corporate research labs, with an unmatched investment in research and core science, and a commitment to invent the future of technology by making scientific breakthroughs that will transform industry and society.
We innovate and imagine the future and have a strong commitment to develop the next generation of top research talent.
We host many scientists, visiting academics and students in the belief that it takes broad collaboration between the brightest minds to create innovations that make the world work better.
IBM Research Africa invites applications for postdoctoral positions to be held at the IBM Research Lab in South Africa, seeking outstanding candidates who obtained their doctoral degree within the last five (5) years.
Applicants who are currently finalizing their doctoral dissertations for examination may apply, provided that they will submit by 31 December 2022.
The positions are tenable for 18-22 months between February 2023 and December 2024.
Successful candidates will work at a world-class research lab developing AI technologies, algorithms and applications for some of the grand industry and development challenges that face the world today.
Candidates will gain hands-on industry research experience while working directing on and gaining the knowledge of IBM’s various advanced technologies.
The research projects to be undertaken during the fellowship will be characterized by data driven innovation and machine learning, in areas such as quantum computing, accelerated discovery technologies for healthcare and life sciences, computational linguistics, geospatial AI for climate and environmental applications, and neurosymbolic AI.
Many of the research projects will be geared towards having transformational impact in South Africa and across the African continent.
The Structure of the Postdoctoral Fellowship
- Successful applicants will receive a fellowship over period of 18 to 22 months (Feb 2023 to Dec 2024).
- Successful candidates should expect to undertake postdoctoral research on a project that is defined by IBM Research which may therefore be different from their doctoral research.
- Fellows will receive mentorship by researchers from the South African research lab, working alongside other expert IBMers from the network of IBM Research global labs.
- The fellows will contribute to research outputs including proof-of-concepts, publications, patents and public seminars (at least 2).
- The fellows will collaborate extensively with teams from various IBM Research labs and contribute to cross-lab outputs and objectives.
As IBMers, the fellows will have access to IBM computing infrastructure, IT and cloud services; and to a wide range of global mentorship and networking
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
Candidates applying for this position should fulfill the following requirements:
- Be a South African natural.
- Be a member of designated groups as defined in the Employment Equity Act: Black (African, Indian and Coloured).
- Be unemployed for the duration of the fellowship.
- Have completed (completing in December 2022), a doctoral degree within the last (5) years in Computer Science and other fields with considerable computational modelling and programming focus, such as Computational Biology; Computer Science; Data Science; Electrical, Electronic or Computer Engineering; Computational Genomics; Industrial Engineering; Computational Physics; Computational Mathematics & Statistics, Health or Medical Informatics.
- Have demonstrable research proficiency based on the scientific method, meaning they must have the ability to define research questions, formulate hypothesis, and develop innovative solutions using cutting edge technologies.
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- Be familiar with data science and machine learning methods, including their implementation. Experience with deep learning, signal and image processing, and computational mathematics will be advantageous.