HCI Foundation Bursary Programme 2023 | APPLY NOW
HCI Foundation bursaries are primarily for our current bursary recipients who will be returning to university in 2023, and new applicants at Honours and Post-graduate Diploma level at the institutions listed below.
When to apply for 2023
Applications open from 01 August 2022 to 30 September 2022.
Applications are open to South African citizens, refugees and asylum seekers who fulfil the following criteria:
- Current HCI Foundation bursary recipients who are continuing their undergraduate studies in 2023 at a public university or university of technology in South Africa.
- The gross family income should be less than R38 000 per month.
- Age 35 years or under on 30 September 2022
NB: We do not fund part-time, distance learning or students studying at TVET colleges.
Institutions we support
- University of Cape Town
- University of the Western Cape
- University of Stellenbosch
- University of KwaZulu-Natal
- University of Pretoria
- University of Witwatersrand
- University of Johannesburg
- Rhodes University
- Nelson Mandela University
- University of the Free State
- North-West University
How to apply
Our application form is online, please select APPLY at the bottom of this page.
No hardcopy application forms will be available. Please note that this application form cannot be downloaded; therefore, you are advised to reserve sufficient time to complete the application online.
However, you can start, stop, save and continue your application throughout the application process.
What you need to apply
- You must have a working email address
- You must have a working cell phone number
- You must have a student number if you are applying for your second year of study or higher
- You must have proof of the exact amount of your parents’ or guardians’ monthly income
What does the bursary cover?
The HCI Foundation bursary is a partial bursary that covers 75% of a student’s tuition fees up to R38 000 per annum. We do not give allowances for living expenses, books, residence, meals or transport (except in special circumstances).
**Please note that we do not pay for repeat years of study or repeat modules.
How and when do we pay?
Payments happen around July of each year. We pay directly into the student’s fee account at institutions of study. We do not pay students directly.
What are the conditions of our bursary?
The HCI Foundation bursary is free, and we do not require bursary recipients to repay their bursaries EXCEPT in special circumstances where
- The student failed their studies due to proven lack of commitment and did not inform the Foundation in advance about their circumstances.
- The student is intentionally unwilling to participate in the bursary programme activities during and after they have completed their studies.
- The student provided false/inaccurate information to unduly receive the bursary.
The Foundation do expect bursary recipients to give back by engaging with community projects, reporting back to the HCI Foundation through tutoring and mentoring programmes and volunteering in their own communities.
In addition, bursary recipients are required to attend workshops and complete surveys during their academic year and after completing their studies.
Can the student apply if he/she has got a NSFAS loan, other loans or another bursary?
You may still be eligible for an HCI Foundation bursary even if you are recipient of a loan or a partial bursary from elsewhere.
However, we will withdraw our bursary if a student receives a full cost bursary or a significantly large partial bursary from another donor. The withdrawn bursary will be allocated to another deserving student.
Students with large partial bursaries and those with full-cost bursaries are required to inform the HCI Foundation of their status or to decline our bursary by sending an email to [email protected]
Does the Foundation cover master’s or PhD studies?
No. The Foundation does not fund Master’s or PhD studies.
The Foundation funding is limited at Honours and Postgraduate Diploma level of studies.
Does the Foundation assist with internships or employment?
The foundation runs a Graduate Development Programme that seeks to close the work experience gap that is required by potential employers.
Only the HCI Foundation bursary recipients qualify to participate in this programme by sending their cv and motivational letter to [email protected] for consideration when there are opportunities available. It must be noted that this prorgamme does not guarantee graduates employment or internship opportunities.
However, opportunities are shared with graduates once they become available. Graduates are encouraged to stay in touch with the foundation and inform us of their employment or studies progress regularly.
FIND MORE OPPORTUNITIES HERE:
- LATEST Entry-Level Jobs in SA
- LATEST Internships & Learnerships in SA
- LATEST Bursaries in SA
- LATEST Career Tips & Resources
- LATEST Grants & Funding
- LATEST Contests for South Africans
- Join our Telegram channel so you’ll never miss an opportunity. Simply CLICK HERE, and you’re in!