Scholarly Africa is owned and published by ZOOM Media Pty Ltd., an independent digital media venture based in Sandhurst, South Africa.
Sparrow Early Career Researcher Grant 2022 | APPLY NOW
Are you a PhD student or PostDoc looking to share your research?
The Sparrow Early Career Researcher Grant 2022 is available to those in the environment/climate change, mind/mental health, and reproductive health fields.
All you have to do is write a 3-minute distilled digest that is easy for the everyday reader to understand. They provide the topic, research, and format, you provide the facts.
Sparrow aims to make science accessible and affordable to anyone who wants to absorb new content.
Their experts summarize the latest science research into bite-sized newsletters that are easy for you to digest – for free. They have a library of 300+ easily understandable summaries sourced from over 50,000 scientific journals.
- The Grant is $500 USD for the winner and a paid commission for the Finalists.
- Open to Ph.D. students and PostDoc researchers whose area of research matches the topic areas.
- Your research field covers:
- Environment/Climate Change/Related solutions in food security, conservation, and energy
- Mind/Mental Health/Psychology
- Reproductive health
To win the $500 Grant, you need to pick a topic from the ones listed (or get in touch to suggest one) and follow these general guidelines:
- Keep it short and relevant to Sparrow’s lay audience (850 words max.)
- Based on a ‘main’ research paper that is linked below (or another relevant topic pre-approved by their editor [email protected])
- Sum it up with “In 10 seconds?” at a high level
- Aim for 7-8 paragraphs in a Question & Answer format (essential to be considered)
- Imagine you are talking to a skeptical friend who is probing you
- Provide inline links to the ‘main paper’ and high-quality research papers supporting your statements (1-2 per paragraph)
- Critically assess the quality of the evidence
- Explain the practical application and what can be expected in the future
- Round it up with interesting details about the topic
Valid applications considered for the Grant consist of details of the applicant, a summary based on 1 topic listed on the How It Works page and submitted in the application period in the format of a Sparrow Digest.
For more information, visit Sparrow Grant.