Applications are open for the Natural Environment Research Council (NERC) Independent Research Fellowship 2022.
Through an Independent Research Fellowship (IRF), NERC will invest in researchers seeking to conduct their own environmental research within an eligible host organisation.
Strong applicants will demonstrate convincing evidence of working towards this goal and a high potential to become independent research leaders in the future.
Applicants will demonstrate that, if awarded an IRF, they will be working independently of senior colleagues with whom they might have previously collaborated or for whom they might be working currently in a supporting role.
- The total available fund is £7,400,000.
- Open to applicants who hold a PhD qualification or expect to submit their PhD thesis before the fellowship interview takes place in March 2023.
- Individuals demonstrating an upward track to pursuing working independently and developing research leadership are encouraged to apply.
- Applicants should not apply if they currently hold a tenured academic post or academic position at lecturer level (or equivalent position).
Applicants must clearly demonstrate evidence of the following criteria:
- Suitability of the applicant:
- excellence of their research achievements during their career to date
- potential to lead and advance their research discipline
- capability to work independently
- Research excellence
- research proposal displays high levels of quality, timeliness, feasibility, novelty and vision
- Diversity, equity and inclusion is embedded throughout the proposal
- Level of support provided by the chosen host institution.
The deadline for application is October 11, 2022 at 16:00 UK time.
You can find advice on completing your application in the:
For more information, visit NERC Fellowship.