MQA Bursary Scheme Targeting Unemployed Learners: Applications Now Open for the 2023 Academic Year
The Mining Qualifications Authority (MQA) is a Sector Education and Training Authority (SETA) for the Mining and Minerals Sector in terms of the Skills Development Act No. 97 of 1998.
The MQA would like to invite learners who are currently in grade 12 or are already studying at a public university, university of technology, or a TVET college to apply for an MQA bursary for the 2023 academic year. A total of 700 bursary opportunities will be available for the 2023 academic year.
The bursary will cover tuition fees and allowances for accommodation, books, and meals.
The bursary is only available to South African citizens.
1. The MQA bursary scheme only funds the following qualifications at universities and universities of technology:
- Metallurgical Engineering
- Jewellery Design and Manufacturing
- Mining Engineering
- Mine Surveying
- Electrical Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Environmental Health and Management
- Analytical Chemistry
- Electro-Mechanical Engineering
- Industrial Engineering
- Occupational Health and Safety
- Occupational Hygiene
- Occupational Medicine
- Operations Management
- Quality Management
The MQA bursary scheme only funds the following qualifications at TVET colleges:
- Motor Mechanic (Diesel)
- Fitter and Turner
- Fitting (including Machinery)
- Instrumentation Mechanic
- Rigger Ropes man
PLEASE NOTE: The MQA may allocate 20% of the total bursary allocations for the 2023 academic year for qualifications which are not listed above, which the MQA may deem as qualifications necessary for the mining and minerals sector.
Preference will be given to the following aspects in the selection of candidates:
- Applicants classified as Historically Disadvantaged Individuals.
- Financially needy applicants, with a combined household income of not more than R600 000 per annum.
- Female applicants.
- Applicants living in rural communities.
- Applicants who have applied to study at their local tertiary institutions.
- Good academic performance.
Application Window and Form
The application period will open from 01 August 2022 and close on 01 September 2022.
Download: 2023 Unemployed Bursary Application Form
Late applications will not be considered.
Submission of Forms
Applications forms and supporting documents must be submitted to the following e-mail address:
Only applications received from the above-mentioned e-mail address will be considered.
- Communication will be limited to successful applicants only.
- If you have not received any communication from the MQA by 15 December 2022, then please consider your application as being unsuccessful.
Further information regarding bursary applications can also be obtained from the following MQA Regional Offices:
MQA Head Office7 Anerley Road, Block C, Parktown, 2193 (physical address)
Tel: 011 547 2600
King Sabatha Dalindyebo TVET College, R61 Queenstown Road
Cicira Village, Mthatha, Tel: 047 505 1047
Goldfields TVET College, 14107 Ndaki Road
Tosa Campus, Thabong,
Tel: 087 095 0266
Sekhukhune TVET College, CN Phathudi Campus
Stand No. 2659, Praktiseer,
Tel: 087 095 0267
Nkangala TVET College, Mpondozamkomo Campus,
1 Moses Kotane Drive, Ferrobank,
Tel: 013 696 8120 / 2121
Old Shopping Complex, 53 Karee Street,
Tel: 014 555 8860
Northern Cape Rural TVET College, Kathu Campus,
Hans Coetzee Drive, Kathu,
Tel: 053 723 0100