Applications for the Fund for Investigative Journalism Grants 2022 are now open.
The Fund for Investigative Journalism provides grants and other support to independent journalists and news organizations to produce high-quality, unbiased, nonpartisan investigative stories that have an impact.
They provide support directly to investigative journalists for news stories, books, documentaries and podcasts that uncover wrongdoing by powerful people or institutions.
The Fund for Investigative Journalism was founded in 1969 by the late Philip M. Stern, a public-spirited philanthropist who devoted his life “to balancing the scales of justice.”
Stern was convinced that small amounts of money invested in the work of determined journalists would yield enormous results in the fight against racism, poverty, corporate greed and government corruption.
FIJ provides four types of grants:
- Regular grants: They review proposals three to four times a year for grants up to $10,000. The next deadline is Wednesday, September 7, 2022.
- Expedited grants: In rare cases, they provide expedited review for proposals that are extremely urgent and cannot wait for the regular review cycle. These proposals are reviewed on a rolling basis and applicants receive a decision within about two weeks.
- Follow-up grants: They accept proposals for timely follow-up coverage to original investigations that were produced with grants from the Fund. Grantees can apply for expedited review for follow-up grants up to $2,500.
- Emergency Grants: Threats to Democracy in the U.S.: These grants are for stories that break new ground and expose wrongdoing related to threats to democracy in the U.S. for up to $10,000. They will review proposals on a rolling basis. Grant decisions can be expected within 2-4 weeks of submission of application.
- Freelance journalists, staff reporters and media outlets are eligible;
- Their investigations can be for print, online or broadcast stories, books, documentaries or podcasts.
- Regular, Expedited, and Follow-up proposals are submitted through this application form.
- Emergency Grants are submitted through this application form.
FIND MORE OPPORTUNITIES HERE:
- LATEST Entry-Level Jobs in SA
- LATEST Internships & Learnerships in SA
- LATEST Bursaries in SA
- LATEST Career Tips & Resources
- LATEST Grants & Funding
- LATEST Contests for South Africans
- Join our Telegram channel so you’ll never miss an opportunity. Simply CLICK HERE, and you’re in!
S’bo Parker has 4 years experience writing and curating verified entry-level jobs, internships, bursaries and career resources for South African youth. Every month, Scholarly Africa reaches at least 1 million job-seekers in South Africa alone. S’bo is also a lover of electric vehicles andclean energy, and a climate science enthusiast. Find her thrilling articles on Climativa.com.