Applications for the Sony Music Group Global Scholars Program 2022/2023 are now open.
As a commitment through the Global Social Justice Fund, Sony Music Group, in partnership with IIE, is pleased to announce a new global scholarship program that will propel the future careers of young, diverse talent in the music industry.
This signature scholarship program aims to advance access to post-secondary education at a wide range of leading music and music business education institutions in the global community.
The Sony Music Group Global Scholars Program is an initiative designed to provide scholarships for students enrolled in a wide range of leading music and music business-related fields of study at accredited colleges and universities.
The overall goals of the program include:
- To support students through their college careers and guide them towards college completion.
- To help steward and cultivate students throughout their college career by providing enrichment programming and exposure to Sony Music Group’s music professionals and industry.
- To help build and grow a diverse talent demographic of young music leaders towards gainful employment.
- And to help alleviate the financial burden of students from diverse backgrounds for up to the period of the degree program or upon completion, whichever is sooner, depending on financial need and region.
The Sony Music Group Global Scholars Program will provide a robust scholarship package, including:
- Annual financial support ranging between USD $3,000 and USD $20,000 per student up to the period of the degree program or upon completion, whichever occurs first. Recipients are responsible for the balance of funding, including tuition and fees, books and supplies, living expenses, and transportation.
- Ongoing student advising services throughout the duration of the scholarship to maximize degree program completion rates.
- Self-service portal for scholars to update information and gain access to resources.
- In addition to receiving the scholarship, Sony Music Group Global Scholars may be given other opportunities by Sony Music Group to further their professional development, including unpaid internship or mentorship opportunities.
- Open to students who are planning to enroll full-time in an accredited college or university degree, including 3-4 year undergraduate degree programs, in music or music business-related fields of study during the academic year of 2022-2023.
- Maintain a U.S. equivalent GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale or above is required to apply for this scholarship.
- An applicant’s academic record must show potential to succeed in a college/university program in their intended music industry field.
- A demonstrated financial need.
- Applicants do not need to be accepted into a program at the time of application, but if selected for a scholarship, proof of full-time enrollment will be required before scholarship funds can be sent.
Scholarship applicants will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Achievement and potential in music fields
- Demonstrated leadership potential and ability
- Personal character, commitment, and potential in their chosen field of study and future music industry career
- Clearly expressed financial need to support educational goals
- Academic achievement
- Career and academic goals in line with stated scholarship objectives
- Compelling references
The application will close at 11:59 pm Eastern Time on Monday, July 25, 2022.
A complete application must be submitted in English and will include:
- Completed online application form
- A personal statement (up to 3,500 characters)
- An estimate of your expected tuition and mandatory fees to complete your degree programs during the academic year of 2022-2023;
- Two reference letters. The letters must come from non-family members who know you well – for example, a teacher, instructor, professor, employer/work supervisor, scout leader, advisor to an extracurricular club, etc.
- High school transcript/grade report issued by the school (for applicants from the United Kingdom or Commonwealth countries, A level, O level, GCSE, or BTEC results are also acceptable)
- Only applications completed by the deadline will be reviewed. Falsifying or plagiarizing any portion of your application is grounds for automatic disqualification.