By Nova Pioneer
Note that these are entry-level teaching positions for a top school based in Northriding, Gauteng, South Africa, for teachers ready to start September 2022.
Nova Pioneer is looking for a superstar Apprentice Teacher to teach Primary School at its Northriding Campus! This is an exciting opportunity for an aspiring teacher who is currently or going in their 3rd or 4th year of their BEd qualification or completing their PGCE in 2022 to join a team deeply committed to the development of our people and our children.
You will partner with your Resident Teacher to empower students using an enquiry-based learning approach and be a part of an innovative network of schools that is developing generations of innovators and leaders who will shape the African Century.
Nova Pioneer is looking for Apprentice Teacher to start on 1 September 2022. Apprentice teachers support instruction and classroom management and are responsible for helping to drive a rigorous, enquiry-based learning environment the Nova Pioneer way.
Apprentice teachers are supported by Resident teachers who partner with them in their growth journey – observing lessons, providing feedback and coaching.
Key responsibilities for the role include:
- Help and support Resident teachers to deliver impactful and engaging enquiry-based lessons supported by technology to enhance instructional delivery
- Infuse joy and passion for learning into lessons so that students are excited about and invested in their academic excellence
- Help to set and communicate rigorous and ambitious goals for all students and provide student feedback so they internalize it
- Work collaboratively with the resident teacher to conduct ongoing assessment of student progress. Use assessment data to adjust instructional content and delivery techniques accordingly
- Attend weekly feedback meetings with resident teachers and Deans to enhance teaching practices
- Fully participate in opportunities for professional growth including daily team meetings and reflections, weekly professional development meetings, instructional coaching, and organisation wide learning and reflection
- Communicate regularly with parents through e-mail, telephone and parent-teacher conferences
- Contribute to and participate in co-curricular programming for at least one activity in the course of a term
- Participate in a variety of collaborative teams and committees, fulfil supervision duties as assigned including some morning, evening and weekend events
Skills and Qualifications required:
- You are pursuing a Bachelor’s Degree in Education and entering your third or fourth year of study OR a Bachelor’s Degree + Post Graduate Certificate in Education (PGCE)
- You will not be a qualified teacher at the start of 2022You are specialising in Foundation and/ or Intermediate phase NOT Senior phase.
- You are provisionally SACE registered
- You have English and Mathematics teaching experience or curriculum knowledge – experience in Singapore Maths and THRASS (English) is not compulsory but ideal
- Experience and/or understanding of Cambridge curriculum objectives would be an advantage
Qualities of a successful candidate:
- You love teaching and care deeply about the success of each and every student
- You have a deep understanding of children and you know how to connect with the specific age group that you teach
- You are deeply committed to your development as a teacher and welcome constructive feedback, translating feedback into improvements and innovations in your approach and in your classroom
- You are able to work within a team-based environment and collaborate with other resident teachers, apprentice teachers and deans
- You communicate openly and effectively with your colleagues
- You are adept at using technology for instruction
How to Apply:
Does working at Nova Pioneer excite you? If so, then apply now!
To apply, please complete the online form here. We cannot process applications that are emailed to us.
Please note: Where a copy of your resume and your proof of studies is required, copying and pasting from a formatted document e.g. Microsoft Word may not result in the formatting transferring correctly to the final resume.
You are encouraged to attach your resume in Microsoft Word® or PDF format to protect formatting. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the right candidate is identified. Only qualified candidates will be invited for interviews
About Teaching at Nova Pioneer
Apprentice teachers are high potential individuals with an eagerness to learn and grow into a resident teacher. Apprentices are paired with a resident teacher who provides them with mentorship and coaching, observes lessons and provides regular feedback so that they are soon able to own their own classrooms.
Apprentice teachers may support more than one resident teacher across multiple classrooms. Apprentice teachers have typically completed a bachelor’s degree and are pursuing a teaching qualification.
Apprentices have the exciting opportunity to work at Nova Pioneer while still pursuing their studies – this gives them the opportunity to get real experience and earn money at the same time! If such apprentices do well in their time at Nova Pioneer they could be offered a job as a Resident teacher once they have qualified.
Centralised lesson planning supports teachers to enable them to deliver rigorous enquiry-based learning and to engage deeply with students to help the on their individual learning journeys.
Nova Pioneer also welcomes professionals who are looking to make a career change into education and are passionate about pursuing a new career in teaching.
Working at Nova Pioneer
Nova Pioneer is a place where our people experience tremendous growth, fast! We invest heavily in the growth of our people because it leads to greater mastery in both us and our students. “Novaneers” work harder and work longer hours than most schools but as a result, the growth they experience is extraordinary.
We offer consistent and ongoing personal development and provide clear career pathways that ensure that our people are always achieving their personal and professional best. Nova Pioneer has a highly energetic, entrepreneurial environment where our people get to bring their creative and innovative ideas to life.
We look for people who are flexible and who are able to adapt and respond quickly to adversity with a positive, can-do attitude (there are no problems, only solutions!). We welcome challenges and roll with the punches because it makes us, and our students, better. There is no problem too big for us!
We work hard but we also have a lot of fun together. We bring infectious energy and enthusiasm to everything we do because joy fuels the hardest work and learning. Read more about our culture principles here.
Nova Pioneer, in line with the POPIA (Protection of Personal Information Act) will attempt to ensure the confidentiality of all applicants for this role.
All reasonable measurements will be in place to protect personal information but it will be used for recruitment and employment purposes. By submitting your application with Nova Pioneer, you are recognising and accepting this disclaimer.