Applications are now open for the Old Mutual Education Trust (OMET) scholarships.
The scholarships provide funding to study on a full-time, part-time or distance-learning basis for a first-time undergraduate Degree/BTech/Diploma at an accredited public university in South Africa.
OMET empowers the trade unions – which represent some of the most disadvantaged persons in South Africa.
WHAT THE SCHOLARSHIP OFFERS
- Registration and tuition fees
- Prescribed books and other approved study materials
- Accommodation and meals in a residence administered by the Higher Education Institution for students studying on a full time basis
ABOUT THE SCHOLARSHIP
The bursary will provide cover for first undergraduate studies in ANY field (including certificate, diploma and first degree level qualifications). The bursary does NOT cover second degrees or postgraduate studies.
Participating trade unions include:
- Democratic Nursing Organisation of South Africa (DENOSA)
- National Teachers Union (NATU)
- National Education Health and Allied Workers Union (NEHAWU)
- National Union of Mineworkers (NUM)
- Professional Educators Union (PEU)
- Police and Prisons’ Civil Rights Union (POPCRU)
- South African Chemical Workers Union (SACWU)
- South African Catering Commercial Allied Workers Union (SACCAWU)
- South African Democratic Teachers Union (SADTU)
- SASBO The Finance Union
The bursary will provide partial cover for the following expenses, to the value of R65 000: registration fees, tuition fees, prescribed books, other approved study materials, accommodation and meals in a residence.
Bursary recipients will receive comprehensive student support, that places great importance on the students wellbeing, and will therefore also receive the following benefits:
- Access to bespoke student support interventions to enable academic, psycho-social and leadership growth and success
- Peer Buddy mentorship programme to support final year students develop a postgraduate plan
- Computer access (new scholarship holders)
The Old Mutual Education Trust will fund up to 60 students, with a limited number of scholarships awarded to each union partner. Selection will be based mainly on academic results.
HOW THE SCHOLARSHIP IS AWARDED
- A limited number of scholarships is awarded per union partner every year
- Academic ranking is the determinant factor for selection of successful candidates
WHO MAY APPLY?
- Member or staff member of one of the participating unions
- Legal spouse of the union member or union employee
- Child of a union member OR union staff member AND under the age of 25 (includes adopted children and stepchildren)
- Grandchild of the union member OR union staff member under the age of 25 & financially dependent on the member
- Child of blood relation of the union member OR union staff member under the age of 25 & financially dependent on the member
OMET offers a comprehensive student support model that prioritizes wellbeing, academic support and leadership development through mentoring and networking.
Please have the following documents ready to complete the application
- A recently certified copy of the South African ID of the main union member/union employee
- A recently certified copy of the South African ID of the dependant (if relevant)
- Union membership number or Union employee number (for main member or employee)
- Grade 12 – Your final Grade 11 results if in matric and your June results for Grade 12
- Post matric – Your official matric certificate
- University Student – Latest year-end results (for the previous academic year) plus your most recent June results
- Please note that the South African ID is the only acceptable form of identification in this application
- All South African ID copies must have been certified in the last 6 months
- Please note that your South African ID number will NOT be accepted as a union membership or union employee number. (See eligibility criteria above)
- Please add the full name (s) and surname (s) as per the South African Identity Documents in the form
- In the case of a child dependant, please ensure that the child is younger than 25 years of age
- Please ensure that you double check the accuracy of results entered
- Please EXCLUDE the Life Orientation mark from the aggregate score
- Please enter the correct email and contact numbers for all parties and ensure that you remain contactable via this information throughout the selection and verification process
- This application works best in Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge
- Contact information should belong to the applicant
WHERE TO APPLY
Bursary Application Closing Date: 31 August 2022
Apply on the Old Mutual webpage HERE: https://oldmutual.devman.co.za/devman/web/bursary/