Google is inviting applications from youths in sub-Saharan Africa for the SSA Machine Learning Bootcamp which is meant to build a strong enough foundation in ML theory and practical skills to be employed as ML developers.
About [SSA Google Developers Machine Learning Bootcamp]
The <SSA Google Developers Machine Learning Bootcamp> is a program for those that want to become machine learning developers.
The goal of this program is for the participants to study machine learning theories and eventually become able to solve engineering problems in actual job situations. We will provide an environment for self-study and various opportunities to whet your motivation.
Screened participants are required to complete a training course in deep learning, a ML certification, and a hands-on project in 4 months. Those that complete all of them will be given a chance to apply for a full-time job or an intern position in companies that provide services involving machine learning.
We have the practical project option, enriched the sessions for resume writing and career development, and expanded the employment potential by partnering with more businesses to ensure that our participants will come out even stronger for the job market.
1. ML Training: Complete educational training in Machine Learning Theory
Deep Learning Specialization
A specialized training program in deep learning created by Andrew Ng, one of the founding members of Google Brain and a co-founder of Coursera, and his colleagues. It consists of five courses with lectures imparting professional knowledge as well as insights and advice from the experiences of industry leaders.
- This training component is in English and is a requirement of the program.
- While you must study on your own to complete this training, we will provide online groups and mentoring opportunities to help with the process.
- Google will fund the cost associated with this training.
- Participants completing this training will receive a completion gift.
2. ML Certificates: Complete a machine learning certification
TensorFlow certificates: This certificate can demonstrate your deep learning and machine learning (ML) problem-solving skills.
GCP Professional Data Engineer certificates: This certification exam assesses your ability to design data processing systems, process architect data, build systems and operationalize machine learning models, and ensure solution quality.
GCP Professional ML Engineer certificates: This certification exam assesses your ability to frame ML problems, architect solutions, design data preparation and processing systems, develop models, automate and orchestrate pipelines, and monitor, optimize, and maintain ML solutions.
- You must complete at least one of the above certifications.
- The exams are in English.
- While you must study on your own to complete your certification, we will provide online groups and mentoring opportunities to help with your preparation.
- Google will fund the cost of the TensorFlow Certification exam.
3. ML Practice: Participate in Kaggle Competition
Kaggle is a platform for competitions where data scientists from all over the world come together to demonstrate their skills and earn prizes and fame. Experiencing real or close-to-real cases by participating in a Kaggle competition will provide a chance to see how much you have learned from the Deep Learning Specialization and ML certification.
- All communications on Kaggle will be in English.
- While you must take the initiative to find members and decide on the data and theme for your project, we will provide some mentorship with general guidance.
- Participants completing this training will receive a completion gift.
4. ML Network: Make connections with ML companies and apply for employment
Gebeya, the premier Pan-African talent marketplace,will facilitate virtual Tech Talk, Career Talk and Meet up sessions with tech companies looking for ML developers where you can gather insights from real-life examples as you prepare a career as a ML developer.
- Tech Talk: Participating companies introduce their technology and share what it’s like to work as developers. You will get to hear from current practitioners about their workplace and find out more about the companies you’ll apply for.
- Career Talk/Resume Clinic: One of the common challenges of looking for a new job is creating an impressive work portfolio. Experts in the field will explain and give advice on how to build your long-term career and how to manifest that in your resume instead of merely listing qualifications acquired over a short time.
- Meetup: You will get to meet and communicate with experts from the training component, specialized ML developers, and other participants of the program, finding answers and inspirations about the field.
How to apply
- Read carefully all the details about this program and submit the application form by 16th July, 2022
If you are in Sub-Saharan Africa and want to apply for this program, please read the descriptions and submit this form before July 16th 2022.
- Apply: 4th July – 16th July 2022
- Announcement: 27th July 2022
- Program Start: 1st August 2022
- Program Ends: 25th November 2022
- You must have basic programming experience in Python.
- Given this program’s purpose, your personal goal must be to find employment at an IT company or a startup as a full-time worker or intern. If you are just interested in learning about machine learning, this program is not for you.
- You must not have previously completed any of the training components offered in this program (Coursera Deep Learning Specialization, TensorFlow certification, GCP Professional Data Engineer certification, and GCP Professional ML Engineer certification).
- Your English comprehension skills should be good enough to understand the training components mentioned above as they are conducted in English without an interpretation service.
- The whole program will take about 4 months. You must be willing to work hard and learn during this time.
- While we will set up online meetings and provide some mentoring to encourage your studies, you have to learn on your own.
Things to consider
- The results will be announced on 27th July, 2022. The applicants will be contacted individually.
- All communications will be sent to the email address you provide.
- Before you apply, check and make sure that the training components offered in this program are appropriate for your level.
- The application includes a test to assess how well the applicant may handle the difficulty of the program. Make sure you have enough time before you start applying.
- There will be no separate acknowledgment of your application other than an email confirming your application once you complete your application.
For more information, click here: https://rsvp.withgoogle.com/events/google-machine-learning-bootcamp_c2f384
FIND MORE OPPORTUNITIES HERE:
- LATEST Entry-Level Jobs in SA
- LATEST Internships & Learnerships in SA
- LATEST Bursaries in SA
- LATEST Career Tips & Resources
- LATEST Grants & Funding
- LATEST Contests for South Africans
- Join our Telegram channel so you’ll never miss an opportunity. Simply CLICK HERE, and you’re in!
Yibanathi Nhlakanipho has 6 years experience writing and curating verified entry-level jobs, internships, bursaries and career resources for South African youth. Every month, her articles on Scholarly Africa reach at least 1 million job-seekers.