Mintek Post-Doctoral Fellowship Programme 2022 | FULLY-FUNDED
ScholarlyAfrica is proud to bring you this exciting opportunity to take your academic and professional growth to a whole new level.
Mintek is South Africa’s national mineral research organisation and it is one of the world’s leading technology organisations with core competencies in mineral processing, hydrometallurgy, pyrometallurgy, bio-processing, mineralogical characterisation and assaying, measurement and process control, nanotechnology and advanced materials.
These core competencies are supported by world-class and unique laboratory-, pilot- and demonstration-scale facilities such as minerals processing, smelting, heap leaching test-work, geomechanical and hydrodynamic testing, and cleanroom facilities. The development of a capable workforce is at the core of Mintek’s Strategy 2030.
Mintek is therefore intensively recruiting Postdoctoral Research Fellows as part of the targeted recruitment drive aimed at augmenting research capacity, expanding global research networks, and enhancing research outcomes.
Mintek Post-Doctoral Fellowship Programme
The objectives of the Postdoctoral Research Fellowship Programme are to augment existing research capacity, build new areas of competence, and expand local and global research networks by:
- Providing a structured approach to fast-track the professional development of recently qualified doctoral graduates.
- Building a strong pipeline of outstanding researchers who are driven by a culture of research excellence and a passion for a new inquiry.
- Attracting researchers from diverse backgrounds, nationally and internationally
About the Postdoctoral Fellowship
Mintek is therefore inviting motivated and suitably qualified applicants who are interested in any of the areas of relevance to Mintek to apply for the positions of Postdoctoral Fellow. These opportunities are based in Randburg, South Africa.
The successful candidates will be appointed on a three-year contract. The Postdoctoral Research Fellow will work with senior researchers and other ecosystem partners to conduct cutting-edge research that will advance the objectives of the organisation.
Possible research areas include (but not limited to):
- Focus on process solutions for impact areas of water and energy efficiency and reduction in circuits.
- Novel technology evaluation for low grade and complex ore bodies.
- Physical separation (gravity and magnetic separation) modelling of circuits with the aim to scale up laboratory data to pilot plants and commercial operations.
- Modelling and simulation of comminution circuits and plant surveys data validation.
- Investigate the effect of flotation reagents in the re-circulation of plant water.
- Develop an artificial intelligence solution to continuously and automatically optimise the reagent dosage for a flotation circuit. Prior experience in machine learning, statistics, and python programming is advantageous.
- Extraction and refining of technology and energy metals from primary and/or secondary sources; develop cutting-edge fundamental and applied research in high-temperature process metallurgy, metal extraction, and recycling.
- Develop membrane electrode assembly (MEA) R&D which will lead to product development and manufacturing.
- Develop an online instrumentation used for the measurement of residual xanthate concentrate ion directly from flotation concentrate cells.
- Develop a fault detection and diagnosis system; analyse data collected from our clients, train machine learning and statistical models to detect faults, and convert them into formal prototypes. Python, MATLAB, C++ or C# programming experience is advantageous.
- Financial modelling and valuations; financial monitoring; sensitivity analysis and techno-economic assessment.
- Modelling of complex flow systems encountered along the mineral value chain using continuum (CFD) and particle scale (DEM) numerical techniques in conjunction with more modern approaches like continuum granular flow formulations.
- Develop software tools and data models to improve the interpretation of mineralogical data (numerical, images).
The Postdoctoral Fellow will work under the direction of a senior researcher and is expected to carry out the following responsibilities:
- Formulating ideas relating to technical projects, develop research questions, design experiments, identify problems, and evaluate and implement solutions.
- Data collection, analysis, and modelling.
- Presenting at high impact conferences nationally and internationally.
- Participating in site visits, meetings, and workshops.
- Producing high quality research publications (peer-reviewed articles, reports, book chapters, etc.)
- Contributing towards the development of prototypes, processes, models, products
- Writing research proposals.
- Mentoring and supervising postgraduate students.
- Building research collaborations nationally and internationally.
- Contributing towards science engagement activities.
- Supporting initiatives that promote the strategic goals and objectives of Mintek.
A doctorate in one of the fields below:
- Applied Mathematics (Computational / Numerical Methods)
- Chemistry (Analytical / Applied / Physical)
- Computer Science
- Engineering (Chemical / Electrical / Electronic / Mechanical / Metallurgical / Mining)
- Geology (Mineralogy, Petrology, Applied Geology or Economic Geology)
- Physics (Computational / Applied)
Skills and experience
- Excellent technical skills
- Good track record of research outputs
- Good teaching and training skills (mentoring of postgraduate students)
- Good interpersonal skills
- Excellent writing and presentation skills
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to work and lead in both a team environment as well as an individual
- Professional recognition and registration is an added advantage.
- Comprehensive curriculum vitae, including academic records and R&D outputs.
- Copy of doctoral certificate (or letter from the university confirming meeting of Ph.D. requirements).
- Cover letter motivating the application.
- Two (2) reference/support letters (one must be from the Ph.D. supervisor).
Application Deadline: 13 July 2022
- Remuneration: Negotiable
The above-mentioned vacancy is also available on the Mintek website at www.mintek.co.za Please forward your application together with the title and reference number of the position clearly in the subject line of the email to http://www.mintek.co.za/careers-mintek-2/
Should you not hear from us within one (1) month of the closing date, consider your application to be unsuccessful.
For more details and to apply, click here
FIND MORE OPPORTUNITIES HERE:
- LATEST Entry-Level Jobs in SA
- LATEST Internships & Learnerships in SA
- LATEST Bursaries in SA
- LATEST Career Tips & Resources
- LATEST Grants & Funding
- LATEST Contests around Africa
- LATEST News and MORE!
- Join our Telegram channel so you’ll never miss an opportunity. Simply CLICK HERE, and you’re in!