Ericsson Together Apart Nigeria Hackathon 2022 | WIN TRIP TO SWEDEN
Inspired by Ericsson promise to keep Africa in motion.
Ericsson’s Nigeria Together Apart Hackathon is hacking for a connected future and solving global challenges.
Africa in Motion
The theme-based hackathon aims to identify innovative and commercially viable solutions showcasing the power of connectivity and 5G in Nigeria.
Africa in Motion is about Ericsson’s mission to empower a sustainable and connected Africa. Ericsson has been connecting Africa for over 100 years and has built the wireless networks for every generation – from the early 1G networks to the first advanced 5G networks.
Our promise and commitment towards Africa are to always support a world where digitalization is transforming the eco-system; enabling sustainable growth, economic development and creating opportunities for all.
The Hackathon’s objective is to identify innovative solutions using technology and connectivity creating tomorrow’s solutions from today’s challenges inspired by Nigeria’s 5G deployment.
How can 5G tech improve lives of Nigerians?
- HEALTHCARE AND EDUCATION:
- Improving the quality of life and standard of living are key metrics for successful growth in Nigeria. The promise of accessible, affordable and inclusive healthcare and education have come within reach for the first time. However accelerating this is critical in order to empower the populace – from unemployed youth to vulnerable and uneducated aged. There is also need to upskill millions of professionals and teachers, ensuring parity with global skillsets and access to latest methodolgies for service delivery.
- Challenge: With gaps in digital platform literacy, professional training, access to affordable devices and more, how can new digital technologies and connectivity ensure the best future for all; regardless of gender, economic status or even geographical location? How can this be achieved while promoting sustainable economic gain to enable new businesses and a thriving ecosystem.
- MANUFACTORING AND MINING:
- Driving sectorial growth can be the biggest catalyst for economic inclusion and change. Utilising the abundant natural resources and dynamic human capital of one of the world’s largest populations will be critical to achieve the nations ambitions. To accelerate growth, lowering barriers of entry for smaller innovative entrants while opening new opportunities for large-scale enterprises to meet the demands of millions of Nigerians is key.
- Challenge: How can connected industry and adjacent solutions help achieve this promise, improving process efficiencies, reducing operational costs and identifying new business models, in order to kickstart a sustainable future for both industries.
- DIGITAL FINANCIAL INCLUSION:
- Banking has excluded a large part of the informal trading sector and population. The barriers to entry have pushed consumers to look into alternative banking methods such as Mobile Money. Thus Fintech has become the fastest growth area in the startup ecosystem, providing a wide range of new options. However large gaps still exist, with millions unable to access services due to financial literacy, rural barriers and lack of inclusion due to economic status.
- Challenge: As the Fintech and Mobile Money industry grows, how can new technologies such as 5G and other digital solutions be leveraged to democratise financial solutions for consumers and businesses – allowing greater access, improving user experience, and ensuring higher financial literacy? WWhat additional, innovative features could enhance the Mobile Money experience and address identified consumer painpoints?
- SMART CITIES AND IoT:
- When we reimagine a new world, we envision a world when technology is at the forefront of change. But in reimaging a new world, there is still a place for legacy unique to a county’s history. “Rip and replace” ideologies and processes may not always be the most financially viable approach in the modernisation journey. Post-pandemic, Nigeria is seeing an emergence of vertical-specific solutions to age-old institutional problems within energy, cleantech, mobility, agriculture, security and smarter cities. But how we can accelerate and better bridge the gap between the old and new?
- Challenge: using 5G technology, IoT and other digital technologies as an enabler, invent and design a modern-day solution optimising something from Nigeria’s past. This idea can be a physical or abstract product or solution.
How to join
Note: This hackathon is open only for participants residing in Nigeria.
To join Ericsson Together Apart Hackathon:
- Sign into the platform using your email and entering the confirmation code received.
- Complete your profile in the registration form to the right of the page.
- Submit your idea/project that fits the challenge you are interested in.
- Add team members by inviting them to join your idea/project. We only approve ready made teams of 2-4 persons. Team members must first be registered to the hackathon!
- Ensure your profile, submission and team are completed well before the deadline on 31 July, midnight, 2022. (Lagos time)
- Eligible teams will be notified and invited to the hackathon.
- Join the hack, learn new things, network and develop your idea.
- Submit your pitch at the end for a jury review.
Who should join
Ericsson Together Apart Hackathon is open for all, so if you are…
- A creative individual
- An Industry specialist
- An Academic (graduate, post grad)
- An Economist – Business Strategist
- A Computer maven
- A Project manager
- A Systems analyst
- A Programmer
- A Entrepreneurs
- A Start-up’s
…then this is an opportunity for you!
|Launch and Registration Opens||23 June||Hackathon and challenges launched!Registration and team-setup open to participants|
|Registration Deadline||31 July||Participant and Team registrations close|
|Selection of Teams to|
|3 August||Select the best teams for the HackathonAnnouncement of the finalists|
|Team Onboarding||4th -11th August||Teams are onboarded to the Hackathon and receive Welcome information package|
|Hackathon Weekend||12th – 14th August||Facilitated online through Microsoft Teams and SlackMentor engagement and support over the weekendPitches recorded and submitted by the teams|
|Finalist Pitch Streaming and Q&A||1st September||Submission deadline for 2nd video pitches, recorded and submitted by selected teams|
|Winner Announcement||5th September||Winning team is announced!|
- Opportunity to develop and scale solution.
- Access to Network and potential customers.
- An all paid round trip to Ericsson HQ in Stockholm, Sweden.
- Meeting with entrepreneurial community in Sweden to present the idea/solution.
One winning team will be off to Sweden
A total of five winning teams will be chosen – one winning team from each focus area in the Nigeria Hackthon.
The five winning teams will receive support in developing and scaling their solutions. One team will receive the grand prize to visit Ericsson’s headquarters in Sweden to pitch the team’s solution and interact with the entrepreneurial community.
How to register
To register, click here: https://ultrahack.org/ericsson-nigeria-hackathon
FIND MORE OPPORTUNITIES HERE:
- LATEST Entry-Level Jobs in SA
- LATEST Internships & Learnerships in SA
- LATEST Bursaries in SA
- LATEST Career Tips & Resources
- LATEST Grants & Funding
- LATEST Contests for South Africans
- Join our Telegram channel so you’ll never miss an opportunity. Simply CLICK HERE, and you’re in!